Monday, January 5, 2009

3K Day or El Día de los Reyes Magos

As the night progresses my 2 girls are getting more excited and wondering if they ever will fall asleep tonight. Nope is not Santa. Santa came and went, tonight is January 5th, the night when the 3 Kings arrive and leave presents to puertorrican children under their beds, but we have to remember to leave some grass for the camels. Another excuse to eat more, drink some, try every dessert available and start school a little later than in the US. This tradition in Puerto Rico is considered more important than Santa Claus and some leave the best presents for last. What a way to empty our pocket. That is why I go for the homemade goods when I have to give presents 2 times. This only works with grownups though. There is always the tasty and tipsy taste of the "Coquito" (which is our version of Egg Nog, but better), Arroz con dulce, Tembleque and my favorite dessert, the Coconut and Cheese Custard (Flan). All of this wonderful things qualify as a gifts. A good gift. A gift that is appreciated. A delicious gift. For all the Boricuas reading this (or whoever wants to try it) I give you, my "Coquito" recipe :

It is very simple.... no grated coconut or nothing. Some people put coconut pulp in it, but i like mine very simple.

1 can of condensed milk
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of coconut milk or coconut cream (Coco Lopez)
Cinnamon to taste (I like a lot of cinnamon)
2 cups of rum (The cheaper the better) to taste


Mix all the ingredients but the rum on a jar. Start mixing one cup of rum at a time to taste. Add more rum and cinnamon if you like.  Store in the refrigerator and serve chilled. In no time it will be gone. But I must give you a warning: it has tons of calories so don't drink the whole thing!

I put them in decorative glass bottles and give them as "Thanks for inviting me" gifts.

This is going to be a long night. I will now try put to bed  my daughters (for the third time) without driving me crazy. It's wonderful that they are excited and all but I have to do "you know what" with the "things" and try not to wake them when I put them "you know where" because then I will not get any "you know what" (meaning sleep, thank you).
Have a Happy Three Kings Day and a Feliz Dia de Reyes a todos.

Triki triki triki...

No comments:

Post a Comment